Enki Temple

The temple was named for Enki, who was the Sumerian god of freshwater, wisdom and magic and is usually illustrated surrounded by or holding water and fish. It was located at the southeast side of the city. Woolley found brick inscriptions and a copper figurine that dated the original construction of the temple to Amar-Sin, the third king of the Third Dynasty of Ur (ca. 2220 BCE). The temple was a rectangle measuring 41 meters long by 23 meters a single structure composed of a courtyard, a sanctuary and 19 rooms and narrow chambers.

You might be interested in …

City Walls

City Walls The Outer City Wall The Outer enclosure circling the ancient city of UR was in the shape of an oval and measured approximately 1200 meters long by 800 meters wide, with its longer […]

Read More

The Cemeteries at Ur

The Cemeteries at Ur The Royal Cemeteries of Ur  The Royal Cemeteries were initially discovered in Woolley’s first season when he dug a test trench. However, he did not begin full excavations until the start […]

Read More

Risks and Protection

From the time the first pits were dug at Ur in 1853, to Woolley’s twelve seasons of work in the early twentieth century, the excavations have simultaneously exposed extraordinary structures and left them susceptible to […]

Read More