Kassite Fort

During his seventh and eighth seasons, Woolley found several Kassite graves within the walls just southeast of the Palace of Bel-Shanti-Nanna along the east city wall. However, due to their ruinous condition, he did not provide further descriptions. All what he concluded was that they were the foundations of a series of residential houses and a military fort dated to the Isin-Larsa period.

Woolley was comfortable labeling it as a Kassite Fort due to its typically Kassite construction. He noted the brick size and the presence of walls formed of two skins of well-laid bricks enclosing a core of mixed rubble that was a typical style attributed to the Kassite King Kuri-galzu (ca. 1400 BCE).

You might be interested in …

The Giparu

The temple complex of Giparu (alternatively E-gig-par or Gig-par-ku) is located on the south side of the ziggurat, abutting the westside of E-Dublal-Mah. The multi-roomed building served as the official residence of the entu-priestess, meaning […]

Read More

The AH Site

The ‘AH’ was  an abbreviation for ‘Abraham’s House’ due to the belief that the Isin-Larsa/Old Babylonian ruins were contemporary with the time when the Prophet Abraham supposedly lived in approximately the Early Second Millennium BCE. […]

Read More

Palace of Bel-Shalti-Nanna

The Neo Babylonian remains of a large royal palace located on the northeast side of the ancient harbor were uncovered during Woolley’s ninth season. It was the residential quarters of Princess Ennigaldi, also known as […]

Read More